Saturday, May 13, 2006

Random Moment #001

Last night, Daughter Number 2 and I saw Art School Confidential, which is a very funny and sometimes touching movie — it rates right up there on the Schprockometer and I recommend it to all my readers. DN2 and I like to meet at the Loew’s Boston Common Theatre when we see movies together; it’s not far from my office and convenient for my daughter to get to. What I usually do is, I’ll change into my bike commuter clothes before I leave the office, ride the bike to the theatre, lock it up, and after the movie lets out DN2 takes the train to the Warren Street stop about a half mile from our house while I race home on the bicycle, pick up the car, and drive to meet her at the stop. Last night, however, it was raining, so I went to the theatre in my regular street clothes and left my bicycle at the office. The plan after the movie was for me to sprint back to the office, change, grab the bike, and meet her at the train stop; then we’d both walk from there to the house together.

Well, I sprinted back to the office, and I changed and grabbed my bike all right, but go no further than that because it had a flat tire! I wound up calling the missus and had her pick DN2 up at the train stop instead, while I changed back into my regular clothes and took the train home myself. I could have fixed the flat and rode home if I chose to, but my bicycle has these extra tough Specialized Armadillo tires that are a pain in the ass to take off and put back on. I always seem to kink the new inner tube or puncture it somehow and wind up with another flat; so, if possible, I’ll pay a professional to change the inner tube for me, which is why I’m here in the office on this rainy Saturday morning — in a minute or two, I’ll walk the bike down to the shop and let Rich, the bike mechanic, do it for me.

Anyway, here’s the whole reason for this post: Daughter Number 1 drove me to my Saturday morning breakfast spot this morning where I had my standard cheese omelet, home fries, toast and coffee. Then I found myself faced with a mile walk to my office in the pelting rain. I brought a rain poncho with me, which is very effective at keeping me dry from mid-thigh up; however, my pants from mid-thigh down were exposed to the elements, and in a short while they became thoroughly saturated. This was a good thing. Why? Because it gave me a chance to practice a little “mindfulness” and “body awareness.” Haven’t all of us at many points in our lives gotten stuck in the rain with no other option than to brave it out? At first you feel a certain abhorrence to getting wet; if it were possible to dance around raindrops, you’d do it. Your clothes and hair begin to get damp and mentally you sort of say to yourself, Ick! Ick! Ick! Then, as things gradually go from damp to sodden, a wonderful thing happens: you accept being wet! You investigate the feeling of what happens to your body as you get more and more soaked; you follow the caress of the rain’s cold, wet fingers as it seeps in everywhere; you notice how your drenched clothes pull at you as your strong muscles unyieldingly continue to move you along; and you realize what a fine thing it is that a little water can’t harm you and is, in a strange way, refreshing and in no way something to recoil from. So here I sit at my work computer in completely wet pants, feeling relaxed and in a great mood.

I know: very trivial, but I thought I’d share it with you anyway.

14 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Sprock, that was like 15 paragraphs made to look like 3. Haha! I love that you do stuff with your daughters. Your misses is very lucky.

When I was a serious runner, I loved running in the rain. I had this feeling of being like She-Ra or Superwoman ... someone female and superheroish.

9:57 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Ah, but it IS a 3 paragraph post (well, technically 4, but let's not nitpick).

I don't run much anymore due to knee issues, but I love running in the rain too. I'm not crazy about riding a bike in the rain because all I can think about is how dirty the bike is getting and now I'll have to clean it.

12:21 PM  
Blogger b o o said...

3 paragraphs yes but your butt is still in wet pants.

6:04 AM  
Blogger ProducerClaire said...

I love rainstorms...even getting caught in them as long as it's spring or fall. Getting caught in a summer storm then going into an airconditioned building can be described as nothing short of "a bitch"!

12:39 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"3 paragraphs yes but your butt is still in wet pants."

Maybe I'll send that out as a challenge: write your next post in soaking wet pants and see how it turns out.



"Getting caught in a summer storm then going into an airconditioned building can be described as nothing short of 'a bitch'!"

I hear ya — major goosebumps there!

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can handle having my legs wet, but for some reason having my socks/feet wet drives me insane. Why is that?

7:47 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Probably the fear you might start growing a green and smelly fungus between your toes.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I have walked to work in the rain many times and have never reached Nirvana because of it. I usually end up cranky because there is little worse than wet undies and wet socks inside sopping shoes. MISERABLE.

I thought of you this morning when my local radio station mentioned that Boston's western suburbs had gotten a foot of rain on Saturday. I have no idea if you're western, but figured you were wet at any rate.

9:34 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Oh, it's pretty bad here in Boston. Our basement flooded yesterday. Fun, fun, fun…

9:38 AM  
Blogger Tony Gasbarro said...

Having been in the military and its various outdoor scenarios, I can say with great conviction that there is nothing I find exciting about being caught in the rain and getting soaked to the skin. You never mentioned your thought pattern after the "rush" of self awareness. Apparently you finished the mile walk before the rush wore off. Spend another four hours on guard duty - in the middle of the night - in those soaked shoes and pants, looking forward to that warm 20-minute break, and then go back out there for another 4 hours, then tell me how "aware" you feel.

(Oops! Sorry Schprocko. That "Ick! Ick! Ick!" feeling just doesn't dissipate with me.)

11:03 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Wow! You got to be wet in Europe? And you're complaining? I don't get it, Farrago.

12:20 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

I absolutely love the rain. Anytime, anywhere. I'm not thrilled when it's a downpour on the way to work and my hair turns into an Afro, but I still can't hate it.

If I'm at home and it starts raining at night, I jump in my car, drive out of town a little ways, and lay on the hood of my car in the rain, listening to the radio. Good times.

12:59 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Trina, you're A-OK in my book.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Tony Gasbarro said...

Now don't get me wrong. I LOVES me a thunderstorm, provided I'm not getting wet, nor being zapped by 700,000 volts of pure electricity!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home