Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Just Checking In

How are everybody’s holidays so far? Both the missus and I have the week off, so I’ve been taking it pretty easy. Yesterday I came down with a cold. It started off as a mild sore throat which gradually worsened. By the time I went to bed, I had a throbbing headache, my joints were all achy and it was painful to swallow. I finally fell asleep sometime after midnight and had a series of fever dreams — you know, those bizarre dreams you get when you’re sick that are never restful and make even less sense than ordinary dreams. All last night I felt I was working out a problem that could never be solved — it just went on and on in a continuous loop. Every two hours I woke up with my head pounding; finally, at 5am, I got up and took some aspirin, which seemed to help.

I don’t get sick very often. As a matter of fact, I almost escaped all of 2005 without ever having a cold. The last malady of this sort occurred exactly a year ago. Here’s a bit of old fashioned Schprock wisdom: unless you’re completely incapacitated, the best thing you can do in the grip of an illness is to drag yourself out of bed, take a shower and put on regular clothes. Something about that seems to take the edge off of whatever cold or flu you’re suffering. Try it next time and tell me if I’m not right. It so happened I had an 8:30 doctor’s appointment this morning for my knee, so I had a reason to get up at a reasonable hour and function (believe it or not, I actually considered canceling a doctor’s appointment due to illness!). As rough as I felt when I first arose, a shower seemed to do wonders.

We had a very nice Christmas. The entire clan gathered at my sister’s house — there were 17 of us! My sister specializes in family gatherings and this year she surpassed herself. The highlight was a Yankee gift swap, where we each contributed a wrapped gift costing no more than 15 dollars. Everyone drew numbers and then each, in his turn, selected a present. You had the choice of either keeping the present or exchanging it for one that had already been chosen and unwrapped. First the adults did it to show the kids how it was done, and then all the cousins and nieces and nephews had their own gift swap. Good fun.

Everybody have their New Year’s Eve plans all set? The Schprocks might do First Night in Boston. I think all the major cities have this now: you purchase a button which you wear on your coat, and this gains you admittance to all sorts of happenings. Concerts, theatrical productions, that sort of thing. There’ll be a parade and ice sculpture to look at. The whole thing ends with fireworks at midnight, at which point people will blow into their noisemakers and act like something marvelous just happened. Wow! We just went from 2005 to 2006! Everything is different now! Let’s get drunk and make some noise!


********


Not enough Schprock? How about trying some early Schprock? Go ahead and click it — I dare you!

15 Comments:

Blogger b o o said...

get well soon schprockster.

as for early schprock: co-ordinated outfits, men working out in gyms together, feather boas, prancing queens.... i dunno....

3:09 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Thanks, Boo — I think I'll live!

4:29 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I thought I was getting a cold. My nose was doing that tight pinching somewhere close to my eyeballs, the throat was getting scratchy, the works. Then poof! Gone.

Our kids are too young for us to enjoy the new years, and if they had babysitters, we'd probably catch a movie. I don't think I've ever really enjoyed the celebration, and I end up kissing some questionable people.

8:25 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

Hope you feel better soon, Schprock. My boss has had the flu for days, and I feel like I'm getting a sore throat. Time to start downing the Vitamin C!

9:00 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"I don't think I've ever really enjoyed the celebration, and I end up kissing some questionable people."

Oh, the images that statement conjures!


"Hope you feel better soon, Schprock. My boss has had the flu for days, and I feel like I'm getting a sore throat. Time to start downing the Vitamin C!"

If you come down with a cold, don't forget to pass it along to New Girl.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, just lick your keyboard or some of your personal papers, she'll get it for sure that way.

Oh, and Mr. S, if you dawn a lampshade this weekend, be sure to post a pic. It would go well next to your statuesque pose...

2:04 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"Oh, and Mr. S, if you dawn a lampshade this weekend, be sure to post a pic. It would go well next to your statuesque pose..."

Oh, I think I could bring a little class to that time-honored party ritual.

6:53 PM  
Blogger ProducerClaire said...

Here's hoping you feel better soon! I'm a firm believer in the way you ring in the new year will, in some fashion, carry over to your new year. For example, the years I've spent at work, I've ended up with tons of overtime in the ensuing year. Last year, a relationship I thought was beyond repair began to mend itself on New Year's Eve. This year? Well, I just had lunch with the fella today.

All that to say, I hope you feel better, thus reducing the wives' tale of a chance that 2006 will contain illness.

As for me, I'll ring in 2006 where I've spent so many other a New Year's...at work.

8:52 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"As for me, I'll ring in 2006 where I've spent so many other a New Year's...at work."

Oh no! After what you just told me? Call in sick or something!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Sorry about the sickness. I am rarely sick as well so when it hits me, it really hits. We have a First Night here as well, but this is such a depressed area, I can't even imagine it. haha

2:10 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"Sorry about the sickness. I am rarely sick as well so when it hits me, it really hits."

Yeah, this is one of the worst colds I've had in some time. No fun at all. But I'm getting great practice in feeling sorry for myself. Right now, I'm the most pitiful thing you ever saw.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I haven't had the fever dreams in a long time. I know what you mean though. I'm fighting off a cold myself. The first one in almost 2 years. Hope you get better soon.
Have a Happy New Year

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky for you that this is New Years Eve weekend Mr. S. After all, you're supposed to drown a cold, right?

Happy New Year!

9:02 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Thanks, Phil and LL. Thanks especially to LL for the health tip! Happy New Year!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Tony Gasbarro said...

The reason you're getting a cold now is because you spent the year too stressed out. You were working too hard to get sick, and now that you've had the chance to relax, all those germs that were waiting to get in have gotten past your "working too hard" defenses.

Next year relax more, work less.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home