Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A Family Moment




Here they are, Schprockie’s Angels. Starting on the left in the flaming pink mohawk is Daughter Number 2 (aka “Pumpkin”), followed by the missus (aka “La Jefa”), and ending with Daughter Number 1 (aka “Princess”). DN2 plays the bass guitar and has more artistic talent than her old man ever had; the missus is the brains of the outfit and always, always gets what she wants; and DN1 is a college sophomore majoring in political science who has a great singing voice and too many guys chasing after her.

As many of you may know, the northeast has gotten whacked with roughly 5 billion inches of rain (for our European friends, that’s approximately 10 trillion centimeters). In Boston, we haven’t seen the sun for about two weeks now. Yesterday, the police caught a bearded guy in a robe attempting to load pairs of animals, male and female, into a stolen waterfront booze cruise boat. This morning I gave up pedaling into work and started rowing. Motorists can’t tell where Storrow Drive ends and the Charles River begins. And Darwin would love this place: half the city’s residents have reported growing gills. Hell, I’m finding it difficult typing this with these darn webs that have sprung up between my fingers.

On Sunday our basement flooded — in some spots, the water stood at about an inch or more. We didn’t have a pump at the time (I’ve since purchased one) and you could tell it would take more than a mop to clean the mess up. In the end, we all pitched in. It turns out a month or so ago the missus purchased a couple of extra-super-scoopy plastic snow shovels on sale at her Mecca, the Christmas Tree Shop. These shovels were ideal for scooping up the water and throwing into a large-capacity plastic tub we had hanging around. As the missus and I poured scoop after scoop of water into the tub, DN1 and DN2 filled pails from it and carried them up the stairs and out of the house to spill at the end of our driveway. We did this for about an hour or so until it was time to switch over to the mops. Sure it was a pain, but, in my mind, the whole process amounted to a wonderful family moment. The girls didn’t complain and we all functioned like a team, very effectively bailing out the basement. I don’t know about you, but I prize moments like these ten times more than any staged, elaborately planned first communion or graduation or wedding or bar mitzvah or what have you. Maybe it’s the spontaneity or the esprit de corps — I don’t know for sure. But it felt good, I can tell you that.

19 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I know exactly what you mean Mr. Schprock. I hate going on any canned tour and prefer to hang out with the people who really live in the places I visit. My best family moments came when we were in trouble and had to come together to get out. All the rest is just passing time.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

La Jefa...no double "f." Sorry, Spanish major in me coming out.

What a fabulous looking family you have! So, when I move to Boston to get a job with Converse, can I hang with DN2? She strikes me as my type of person.

And I wish you had been my father! No way in hell a pink mohawk would have flown in my household! My punk days still have a hold on me sometimes and I want to dye my hair blue!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I'm in agreement.

Moments like this are defining.

This reminds me of a passage right at the end of 'How to be a Good Person' by Nick Hornby.

6:49 AM  
Blogger LL said...

A sophomore in College? Now I really feel like a lecherous old man... thanks a lot Mr. S. :P

DN1 really is a lovely girl. Seems she's got the height and slenderness of her father while retaining the smoldering attractiveness of her latin mother.

DN2 on the other hand has her mother's devilish eyes and smile, and what's that I see? Oh yes, her father's heart wrapped around her little finger.

All in all, the Schprocks make a fine lookin' family.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I concur. Beautiful girls you have there! And a great family moment. These are the things DN1 and DN2 will remember.
BTW- Do you think you could send some of that rain down South?

7:41 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

I'm with you on revelling in the joy of spontenaeity (cripes, did I spell that right?). All the plannig in the world wouldn't have told you what great people you've raised the way the bailing of the basement did.

7:42 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"My best family moments came when we were in trouble and had to come together to get out."

Nothing like a little trial and tribulation to bring people together I guess.


"So, when I move to Boston to get a job with Converse, can I hang with DN2?"

Absolutely! She'll take you to the best mosh pits in town.

Thanks for Spanish help. I'll make the change right after this.


"I'm in agreement. Moments like this are defining."

Aren't they though? I'm glad you agree.

I'll have to look up Nick Hornby.


Lord Loser, I believe you accurately summed things up. Thanks for the compliment about the family (wise of me not to mar the shot by including myself in it!).

7:48 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"BTW- Do you think you could send some of that rain down South?"

Natalie, you can have it all. Sorry, pick-up only — no delivery.


"All the planning in the world wouldn't have told you what great people you've raised the way the bailing of the basement did."

Tiff, you put that perfectly. Thank you!

7:52 AM  
Blogger b o o said...

u lucky lucky man :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Spirit Of Owl said...

Fabulous pic, mr schprock, of a beautiful family. It's a pic to mark a time that's clearly going to stay in all your minds pretty much forever. (I wonder.... while you all pitched in bailing out did Pumpkin feel tempted to do punk shark impressions? I would've.) Great story - you'll be wishing for it to flood every year now. :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

The ladies in your life are quite an attractive bunch, mr. schprock.

When did Daughter No. 2 decide on this mohawk? ;)

11:41 AM  
Blogger fakies said...

Great looking family. Quite the patient paternal unit you are. My mother nearly blew a retina when I suggested going Sinead O'Connor.

A wet/dry vac has always been a staple in our home. It proved invaluable in times of leaking, waterbed explosion, washer backing up all over the floor, etc.

12:28 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"u lucky lucky man :)"

Thanks, Boo!


"(I wonder.... while you all pitched in bailing out did Pumpkin feel tempted to do punk shark impressions? I would've.)"

Lemme tell ya, she's quite a character that girl.


"When did Daughter No. 2 decide on this mohawk?"

Stage one of the mohawk experience started about 4 months ago or so. It just kept getting more and more radical until we have what you see today.


"My mother nearly blew a retina when I suggested going Sinead O'Connor."

That's understandable. My rule is, no body piercings or tattoos while they live under my roof.

We will buy a wet/dry vac at some point, BTW.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Tony Gasbarro said...

The psychological basis for a family pulling tighter together in times of crisis or need stems from a prehistoric predilection for preserving.... Ah, to hell with it! On to what I really want to say...

Damn! You got some good looking daughters!

(pant! pant! slurp! pant!)

11:27 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Down, Farrago! Down!

5:20 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

I'll let her know that, Mrs. T.

6:12 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

I was never brave enough for a mohawk, but my hair has been pink. And purple. And blue. (But not at the same time.)

When my cellar floods I call my landlord, but still I think you have it better. :D

10:56 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

" I was never brave enough for a mohawk, but my hair has been pink. And purple. And blue. (But not at the same time.)"

If anyone can pull off a mohawk, it's you, NYP (I've seen your picture).

11:02 AM  
Blogger ProducerClaire said...

An awesome photo. Thanks ever so much for sharing it with us :)

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home