Friday, November 11, 2005

Schprock Redux

Wow! I have what I can only describe as an “I’m caught up” feeling at work! I don’t exactly know how it happened, but yesterday afternoon, when I poked my head up and looked around, I noticed the flood waters had receded all around me. That’s right: the amount of stuff in my In box is well under its maximum weight capacity for the first time in weeks. I no longer need to shovel my way to my desk through the mountain of client revisions. It’s Friday, and it just might be an easy day! Why, it makes me want to thank God it’s Friday. Wait a minute – “Thank God It’s Friday.” Catchy, isn’t it? I think I’ll print that on a T-shirt.

Our weeks here at the old design mill run from Friday to the following Thursday. I just finished filling out the past week’s timesheet and it’s got 66 hours on it. That’s roughly 5 gallons of sweat off my brow and a pound and a half of elbow grease. Now I know: everyone reading this has put in longer weeks, and I appreciate that, but still, 66 hours is nothing to sneeze at. And let’s see: last week was 59 hours, and the week before that was 57. Look, I’m just a little sissy-boy. I think I deserve some major points, overcoming my sissyness the way I have. It’s much harder for a sissy to put in long hours than a real man. In fact, now when I think about it, I don’t think a statue in my honor would be entirely out of line. Something tasteful in a prominent place in the Boston Public Gardens. I see a laptop, a desk groaning with paperwork, a phone ringing off the hook, and a look of sweet, sweet agony, all cast in bronze. Kind of a Stoning of Saint Stephen feel, you know?

So how is everybody? I hope everyone is well. Sorry I’ve made myself so scarce. Ms. Smith came to stay with us all last week, a friendly little visit that extended through the weekend. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but she used to be a kindergarten teacher way back when she was a kinder and gentler Ms. Smith. It showed in the way she installed herself at the conference table right in plain sight and graded our layouts all last week. Wednesday I got a big gold star stuck on my forehead for doing one of my layouts right, and all day Friday she made me classroom monitor and I got to boss all the other kids around. Next time she comes to see us, she’ll let me clap her erasers.

Oh, I’d like to clap her erasers all right!

(What did I just say? I don’t even know what that means!)

Have a great weekend everybody!

12 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

It means, Freud, just what everyone is going to think it means. And by the way, don't you feel just a small bit of accomplishment for earning a gold star from her? I think what you have on your hands here is a publishable story. Seriously. She is the hard-nosed business woman that demands perfection, everyone hates her, and at the end... Well, you could fudge the ending a little for maximum dramatic impact.

7:09 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"…everyone hates her, and at the end... Well, you could fudge the ending a little for maximum dramatic impact."

In the end, her body is found stuffed in a closet covered with chalk dust, while, several blocks away, a pair of chalkboard erasers are discovered in a dumpster behind the 7–Eleven.

7:25 AM  
Blogger That dude Paul said...

LOL!! The erasers are found in a dumpster behind a 7-11, lol!!

Seriously though..66 hrs is a heavy work load.

I hope you can have a slow weekend and enjoy some refreshments, good food and good company.
Peace

7:47 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"LOL!! The erasers are found in a dumpster behind a 7-11, lol!!"

Yeah, she was clapped off. (evil cackle)

Thanks, Paul. I do plan to relax some this weekend — and catch up with my blog reading, so I just might stop on by.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Man, I would love to meet her. I haven't felt as strongly bitter towards someone in a long time, but it has happened before.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I read that you were going to slap her ears...

10:01 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

I suppose that would be fitting, considering the abuse she's given my ears.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

Clap her erasers... LOL.

Hey, thanks for coming by my blog. Scott highly recommended I come by yours - which is only common courtesy anyhow :)

I don't envy the amount of work you've been doing - not one little bit... I'm a SAHM (Stay-at-home-mom), and the idea of going back into the "real world" once their grown, makes me want to pee my pants. I've worked many different kinds of jobs and I'd sooner be a waitress than work in an office again.

You definitly deserve that statue ;) I'll contact my congressman right away ;)

Have a restful weekend :)

12:46 PM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

Thanks, Tee. I understand your aversion to office work, BTW. I think if I could do it all over again, I might give carpentry a shot.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Tony Gasbarro said...

If I had to do it all over again, I'd opt for that job as a traveling video cameraman for the AV/staging company doing business meetings and conven...

Oh, wait. That's what I did the LAST time I did it all over again! CRAP!

SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT OF THIS RUT!


dassall

7:38 PM  
Blogger fakies said...

Glad you managed to keep your head above water. I dream of a day when the phone at our office stops ringing...hold on, that's our other line!

9:54 AM  
Blogger mr. schprock said...

"SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT OF THIS RUT!"

Help me out of my rut and I'll help you out of yours.


"Glad you managed to keep your head above water."

(gurgle) Help!

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home